Getting Started with Sofy
This document explains how to get started using Sofy for manual and automated testing.
1. Upload the App
The first step in test your app using is to upload the APK or IPA file. After the logging in, select Add New and upload the App. Once uploaded, Sofy creates an application project using App Package URL as its name. You can also upload a different version of the app using the same mechanism. In the latter case, a new package is not created; rather a new version of the App is created.
2. Setup your Release
Next create a Release by selecting the Release Menu and provide a start and end date for the Release. In order to perform manual or automated testing, there has to be a valid Release. A valid release is one in which the current date is falls within the Current Release.
3. Testing with Real Devices
To test an App with a Real Device using Sofy, you must first Acquire a Device using the Lab menu. This is called the Device. See Understanding Device Lab.
When you acquire a Device, the application is automatically installed on the device and is ready for you to start testing. What you see on your browser is the rendering of the screen of Mobile Device. You can use the Action to interact with the Device such click the Home Button, turn on Wifi, etc.
4. Perform Adhoc Testing with Real Device
Adhoc Testing is the ability in Sofy to perform quick, unstructured testing of the app using real device. Here are the steps involved in performing the Adhoc Testing. See Adhoc Testing Using Sofy.
- Acquire a real device from the Device Lab for Testing (see Understanding Device Lab)
- The App is automatically uploaded to the device.
- You can override the App with a local version of the APK or IPA using Select App icon on the left and uploading the local version.
- Once the app is uploaded, you can perform Adhoc Testing
- You can also turn on Device Logging to capture Device Logs (see docs).
5. Perform Manual Testing
Manual Testing differs adhoc testing in the following ways.
- Manual Testing requires a Test Case
- Manual Testing automatically creates a Test Report at the completion of the Manual Test.
- You create Bug Reports while performing Manual Testing.
- Any crashes are automatically captured and converted into Bug Report
- You can convert manual test to Nocode Automate Test Case.
To perform a manual test, you first need to create a Manual Test Case. See Augmented manual testing. You can then execute the manual test.
6. Create Issues during Manual Testing
During Manal Testing, you can create an issue. To do so, click on the Create Issue Icon in the Action Bar. Provide the details of the issue.
7. Integrate with Bug Tracking System
You can setup Sofy to integrate with your Bug or Issue tracking system so that when you enter a Bug/Issue in Sofy, it automatically creates a corresponding Ticket in the Bug/Issue Tracking System. Sofy proivdes default integration with Jira and Azure DevOps and but also expose APIs to integrate with other systems. Checking out Settings -> Integration Menu and Docs page on Integration. Reach out to Sofy Support for questions related to Integrations.
8. Record and Playback of an Automated Test
See the doc pages for recording an automated Test. While you record the test, Sofy automatically creates the nocode automation script. Once recorded, the Test can be executed on multiple devices and does not require changes when played back on a device with a different form factor. Sofy also automatically handles dynamic content using its machine learning algorithms in scenarios when Element IDs are dynamically created.
9. Batch/On-Demand Execution of Automated Test Cases
There are 2 ways in which you execute Automated Test Cases. In the above example, called Interactive Mode, is used to observe the execution of the Automated Test in real time. This is useful to ensure a newly created Automated Test Case behaves as expected or when you want to observe the results of a test in real time. For those scenarios when you want to execute multiple test cases in batch on a variety of devices, you can use Batch Model. This is a good way to perform regression Testing. This action is perform using the New Run Menu under Automated Test Runs Menu.
10. Convert Manual to Automated Test
One of the unique capabilities of Sofy is the ability to convert manual Test Runs to Automated Test Case. You can select the Manual Test Run and with a click of a Button convert to an Automated Test Case.
11. Understand Asserts
Asserts are used to validate a particular functionality in UI such as validating a text or presence or absence of an image, etc.
To create an Assert, click on the Assert Button in the Action Bar, to Enter the Assert Mode.
Once activated, you can select the element on the screen where an Assert should be placed.